So... i'm about to write article about NetBeans vs Eclipse and i found another reason to hate Eclipse/STS.Updating this septic tank is usually a painful and nightmare process.
You upgraded your STS from 2.7.2 to 2.8.0 and then you press restart you received message from Migration Assistant that maven something need to be updated ,before you can use it.
Before i go any further.... if you using maven plugins (like assembly), then install 2.7.2 again. Don't border go through hell until you feel extremely bored.(but is better to Install fresh 2.8.0 and try to run your project)
It is due m2e "Some Maven plugins are recognized as problematic and will produce error markers with a text similar to: maven-dependency-plugin (goals "copy-dependencies","unpack") is not supported by m2e" .Problem is ...they didn't write which plugins are supported (or not).Look to this page for more useless details: http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_execution_not_covered
What to do ?You have 2 options:
I) You can follow instructions from this link
II) This is my version of instructions (copy,modify by me and paste here )
@optional)Switch workspace and choose empty one (it saves your nerves with millions error ,warnings and other garbage in your project
2)Go to the help/About SpringSource Tool Suite and then click on "Installation Details".
3)In the 'Installed Software' tab select all org.maven.ide.eclipse.* and org.sonatype.* :for example:
* Maven Integration for AJDT (Optional) 0.10.0.20100209-0800 org.maven.ide.eclipse.ajdt.feature.feature.group
* Maven Integration for Eclipse (Required) 0.12.0.20101115-1102 org.maven.ide.eclipse.feature.feature.group
* Maven Integration for WTP (Optional) 0.11.1.20101108-1810 org.maven.ide.eclipse.wtp.feature.feature.group
* Project configurators for commonly used maven plugins (temporary) 0.12.0.20101103-1500 org.maven.ide.eclipse.temporary.mojos.feature.feature.group
* Tycho Project Configurators 0.4.3.20101103-1630 org.sonatype.tycho.m2e.feature.feature.group
[!] (save in notepad all
4) press Uninstall
5) press Finish
6) restart STS (by pressing YES)
7)After restart ,go to Help/Dashboard
9) add http://download.eclipse.org/technology/m2e/releases (then you will ask for name... you can choose whatever you want for example: crap m2e
12(Tick that you accept licence's bullshit,which you never read anyway)
14) Restart STS again
15) Switch to your project and you will discover than maven get mental and wild then Is it ?
List of disaster which i came across and how i solved
a) If your pom.xml generate weird error,then you just need press on pom.xml and select Run As/Maven clean
b) if maven complain about specific module you add them by (go to :Windows/Preferences -> Maven -> Discovery and click "Open Catalog". This will allow you to browse all available m2e project configurators. (check names with what you save in 3)
c)If m2e complain about maven's plugin ... then you are screwed up.(As i am at the moment) and you need Install 2.7.2 again
d)Quickest solution is Install 2.7.2 again.