If you have any suspicion about content in e-mail,then DO NOT TRUST.
NEVER EVER click on any link in email and do NOT type any card details.
TO DO LIST ,WHEN EMAIL LOOKS SUSPICIOUS IN ANY WAY:
- Check who sent you email (however ,it is quite easy to cheat ).
- To figure out ,where link will go you can move cursor over link and see (usually in web browser on bottom .If you can easily spot difference between normal bank url and dodgy one.
- NEVER EVER click on any link in email and do NOT type any card details.
- Is e-mail looks different (even tiny detail like weird grammar ,few typo different skin for email) ,then thread this as potential scam.
- Is it any news in media about issue with your Bank ? In case,if you see news about security problem with your bank,then wait until they said that's sorted and follow advices.Always use known url.Do not use links from emails!
- No news? Check on website anti-scam website that provide Scam alert service like: http://www.ingraftedsoftware.com/aggregator/sources/3 and etc.
- Copy message and paste to search engine like Bing/Google to figure out is message was reported as scam?
- Still has doubt... call to bank's infoline or .. go to bank directly.
- Use email that for critical purposes only, (Email with banks, backup email for recovery from main email, BUT NOT FOR ANYTHING ELSE). (do not use any names that are relalted to you in any way.
- Keep copy of emails from your bank,so you can easly spot difference in case ,if you have any doubt.
Example of recent scam e-mails from "banks".
" Dear Valued Customer,
Your Nationwide account needs an important verification
for security purpose, please kindly click here now to verify
your account for a faster easier and more efficient banking experience
Nationwide Building Society "
" Starting from September 25 2013,
Lloyds bank introduces new authentication
procedures in order to better protect private information of our account holders.
Please note that accounts that are not reviewed within 48 hrs are subject to termination.
To avoid service interruption click here to avoid services interruption
Lloyds Banking Group."or
"Our record shows that you have a refund slated on your card account
due to charges made against your card account by us.
We do apologies for this mistake which was caused by errors from our system.
This transaction cannot be completed due to the errors present in your account information.
You are required to click on the LOGON below to fix this problem immediately.
Please note, it will take 3 working days to credit your account with the refund.
LOG ON HERE (<dogdy link)
NatWest Card Services"or
"Dear Valued Customer,
We have encountered a generic error on our database server which compromised
some of our customers account due to the circumstance of the error.
We implore you to make sure your account was not compromised due to this error.
Kindly verify your information for safety purpose
Click Here to verify now
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Barclays Bank Plc. "